Loads of things but, in no particular order:
- Great service: staff who really care and look after their guests. Getting the right balance and the correct mixture of friendly and unobtrusive is hard but wonderful when it's pulled off.
- Location, obviously. It's no good staying in Central London if you crave sand dunes and salty air.
- Fantastic beds and bedding - after all, you're paying for a good night sleep, among other things.
- Extreme cleanliness. It's only okay sleeping in a bed someone else sweated in the night before if you know the bedding has been changed, the loo's been bleached and the shower's been cleaned.
- Great food because who wants to have to go further than downstairs to eat, really?
- Decent decor. I don't want chintz at home so I don't want it in an hotel either.
- Extra touches: The Haymarket leave a personal note and a gift - last time I went it was body oil, the time before chocolates. It makes guests feel loved from the off I think.